Fort Steilacoom occupies an important position in the history of early America and the Pacific Northwest. The fort played a significant role in the settling of Washington Territory. Beginning with its construction in 1849 and ending with its closure in 1868, Fort Steilacoom served as a beacon of American power and promise, promoting the migration of settlers to Washington & securing American interest in the region.
Located in the south Puget Sound, Fort Steilacoom was a part of an early network of settlements including Forts, Camps and Military Posts which were owned by either the United States or the Hudson's Bay Company.
Today, the Historic Fort Steilacoom Association seeks to interpret and preserve the fort’s remaining structures, reminding current and future generations of the fort’s contributions to the history of the United States.
Mission Statement: Sharing and preserving the first U.S. Army Post in the Puget Sound Region with area guests.
*Note: The "official" Historic Fort Steilacoom website is www.historicfortsteilacoom.org (not .com)*